Wytheville Auto Accident Lawyer
Getting The Facts About Auto Accidents In Wytheville, VA
How often do auto accidents happen in Wythe County, and what causes most vehicle collisions? The following are 2018 Virginia Traffic Crash Facts from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles:
- Motor vehicle crashes are on the rise in Virginia, with a total of 131,848 reported crashes in 2018 (compared with 120,282 collisions in 2014, 125, 800 in 2015, 128,525 in 2016, and 127,375 in 2017);
- Fatalities rates have increased in Virginia car crashes in recent years, with a total of 819 fatalities in 2018;
- More than 66,500 people sustained injuries in motor vehicle collisions in Virginia in 2018;
- About 5 percent of all collisions were alcohol-related;
- Nearly 20 percent of all auto accidents were speed-related;
- 563 crashes occurred in Wythe County in 2018, with a total of 4 fatalities and 244 injuries;
- 26 of all reported crashes in Wythe County were alcohol-related, resulting in a total of 14 injuries; and
- 100 speed-related accidents occurred in Wythe County in 2018, resulting in 2 fatalities and 43 injuries.
In addition to alcohol intoxication and speeding, the following are additional factors that contribute to car accidents in Virginia:
- Tailgating, or following too closely;
- Weaving between traffic;
- Running traffic lights to stop signs;
- Distracted driving, including talking or texting on a cell phone; and
- Drowsy driving.
What To Do After A Wytheville Car Crash
After you have been injured in a Wythe County car accident, it is extremely important to take steps to preserve your right to compensation, including the following:
- Photograph the scene of the accident as best as possible, taking multiple photographs of the property damage, injuries, and the scene itself from numerous vantage points;
- Obtain contact information for anyone involved in the crash and for any witnesses at the scene;
- Seek medical attention, recognizing that some common auto accident injuries do not result in immediate symptoms, and waiting to see a doctor could result in your claim becoming barred due to contributory negligence; and
- Seek advice from a Wytheville car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Timeline For Filing Your Wytheville, VA Auto Accident Claim
Under Virginia law (Code of Va. § 8.01-243), most auto accident lawsuits must be filed within two (2) years from the date of the accident. The clock for this time window starts ticking on the date of the accident, and if a plaintiff fails to file a lawsuit before the clock runs out, that plaintiff will have a time-barred claim. Once you have a time-barred claim, you cannot seek compensation by filing an auto accident claim in a Virginia court. While you might think two years is a long time, it is essential to remember that valuable evidence can be lost when you wait to begin the claims process. Moreover, you cannot get the compensation you deserve until you file your claim. Accordingly, the sooner you file your claim, the quicker you may be eligible to receive financial compensation.
How Contributory Negligence Can Affect A Wytheville Auto Accident Lawsuit
Virginia’s contributory negligence rule means that a plaintiff will be barred from compensation if she is even one percent at fault for the accident or her injuries. While some states have comparative fault or modified contributory negligence rules in which a plaintiff’s damages are reduced by her percentage of fault, Virginia will bar a plaintiff from damages entirely if that plaintiff bears any responsibility for the accident. Accordingly, you should have a dedicated auto accident attorney in Wytheville on your side who can present evidence to prove that you are not responsible for the crash and are entitled to damages.
Contact A Wytheville Auto Accident Attorney Today
Were you injured in a motor vehicle collision in or around Wytheville, Virginia? It is important to hold the negligent driver accountable and to seek financial compensation for your losses. An experienced Wytheville car accident lawyer at our firm can get started on your claim today. We have years of experience assisting plaintiffs in Virginia with a wide variety of personal injury cases. Contact the Jackson Law Group PLLC for more information about our personal injury services.
"I received a million letters from attorney’s once I was unfortunately charged with reckless driving in VA. I called all of them, and Mr. Jackson was the most real, down to earth, didn’t sound like he was reading a script to me–attorney. He went above and beyond, and got my RD reduced to a non-moving… "
"I highly recommend the Jackson Law Group for help with Virginia moving violations. I was among the many who were not aware of the archaic Virginia speeding laws. I received a speeding ticket in Virginia (Carroll County) and hired the Jackson Law Group for a very reasonable fee. They represented me and concluded my case…"
"Mr. Haynes represented me for going over 80 MPH which is reckless driving in Virginia. He was very professional and his 20 years of experience was key to my understanding the process so that I would be able to take the steps and provide information that would allow me to make a good impression with… "
"I’m well pleased with the way things went. I just more or less turned it over to Tom and Tee and sat back and let them handle it, because I knew they’d do a good job. And they did. We didn’t have to go to court, and I was very pleased with my settlement. I…"
"Wonderful attorney & incredible staff. I love Tommy, Della & Leslie!"
"I have a wonderful experience working with the Jackson Law Group! The staff is amazing!"
"Wonderful group that treat their clients like family. Have worked with Tom and Della multiple times. Couldn’t ask for better service, compassion, and guidance. Highly recommend this firm to anyone."
-Stacy Williams Case We Handle
"I don’t know what I would have done without legal help from Tom Jackson when my husband entered the nursing home. John was a resident for over five years."
"Mr. Jackson treated us like family, my husband knew him very well and he solved the problem for us. My husband had been involved in your community businesses for many years. Thanks, Mr. Jackson!"