Virginia Medical Malpractice Lawyers
With Law Offices in Hillsville and Wytheville, The Jackson Law Group Represents Medical Malpractice Victims Throughout Southwestern Virginia
Medical malpractice cases are very difficult and complicated. It is expensive to take a Virginia medical malpractice case to trial. For this reason, we are extremely selective regarding which cases we take and we are focused on providing the highest level of representation to each and every client. One of the toughest things for some people who contact us to understand is that a terrible medical outcome doesn’t necessarily mean that a medical provider was negligent. However, we do have significant experience in evaluating, settling, mediating and taking medical malpractice cases to trial.
At The Jackson Law Group, our Virginia medical malpractice attorneys are standing by, ready to get started on your case. If you suffered harm due to a negligent doctor or healthcare provider, we can help. To arrange a free, fully confidential consultation with an experienced Virginia medical malpractice lawyer, please contact our Hillsville law office or our Wytheville law office.
An Overview of Virginia’s Medical Malpractice Laws
One of the toughest things for some people who contact us to understand is that a terrible medical outcome doesn’t necessarily mean that a medical provider was negligent. Virginia law neither expects nor requires doctors or hospitals to be perfect. Instead, they have a professional responsibility to provide high-quality medical care. If they provide substandard treatment/care and a patient harm as a result, they may be held legally responsible through a medical malpractice claim. Here are four specific things you should know about the medical malpractice laws in Virginia:
- Statute of Limitations: Virginia has strict statutory deadlines for medical malpractice claims. Under Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, most malpractice claims against a medical professional or healthcare provider must be filed within two years of the incident. There are some limited exceptions, such as if the victim was a child or an undiscovered foreign object was left inside the patient after surgery.
- Liability: To hold a Virginia medical provider liable for medical malpractice, you must prove that their breach of the requisite standard of care contributed to your injuries. Some examples of medical malpractice in Virginia include delayed diagnosis, inaccurate diagnosis, inadequate patient monitoring, hospital infections, medication mistakes, anesthesiology errors, and surgical operation errors.
- Review Panels & Expert Witnesses: Medical malpractice cases are technical and highly complex. In Virginia, either side to a prospective medical malpractice claim can request a hearing before a review panel. Although the view of the expert panel is not binding, it can be used as evidence if a lawsuit is necessary. In medical malpractice litigation, expert witness testimony is required to both establish the requisite standard of care and to demonstrate how the defendant violated that standard.
- Compensation: Through a medical malpractice claim, a patient can seek compensation for economic and non-economic damages, including medical bills, physical therapy costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, mental distress, and permanent scarring or impairment. Virginia imposes a cap on the total damages that can be awarded in any medical malpractice claim. For cases arising in the first half of 2021, the cap on damages is $2.45 million per claim.
Each Case is Different
We know that case results are important to potential clients. IMPORTANT: Each case is different. If you or your family member was the victim of medical malpractice, you need financial support to pay your bills and compensate you for the pain, suffering, and emotional distress. At the same time, each case is different. What we were able to achieve in someone else’s case does not mean that we’ll get that for you. The facts and circumstances of each case vary and it is impossible to compare “similar” case results. There are rarely “similar” cases to yours as each case is truly different. However, we do have significant experience in evaluating, settling, mediating and trying cases.
Why Hire the Virginia Medical Malpractice Lawyers at The Jackson Law Group
Medical malpractice laws are complicated. You do not have to go up against a negligent doctor, negligent medical providers, or their insurance companies alone. At The Jackson Law Group, we are ready to get started on your case right away. Among other things, our Virginia medical malpractice attorneys will:
- Listen to your story and answer your questions;
- Investigate the incident, gathering documents, records, and evidence;
- Consult with medical expert witnesses;
- Handle settlement negotiations with insurers; and
- Take strong legal action to get you and your family justice.
You are a real person and your case matters. We put in the time and legal resources to ensure that each and every client gets the fully individualized attention and support that they rightfully deserve. With reviews from satisfied clients and successful results, our Virginia medical malpractice lawyers are ready to fight for accountability and maximum financial support.
Contact Our Virginia Medical Malpractice Attorneys Today
At The Jackson Law Group, our Virginia medical malpractice lawyers have the specialized legal skills and expertise that you can rely on. If you or your loved one sustained harm as a consequence of doctor negligence, hospital negligence, or any other type of medical malpractice, we are here to help. Contact our law firm today for a free, no commitment initial legal consultation. From our office locations in Hillsville and Wytheville, we handle medical malpractice claims throughout the entire region, including in Bluefield, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Pulaski, Woodlawn, and Fancy Gap.
$1.3 Million Dollar Settlement
Our firm, together with our friends at Cranwell & Moore, PLC, represented the estate of a veteran who died after a gallbladder surgery at the VA Medical Center in Salem, Virginia. He was survived by his two sons…
Our Skilled Attorneys
Why Work With Our Team at our Law Firm?
At The Jackson Law Group, our attorneys in Hillsville and attorneys in Wytheville along with our staff treat you with respect, giving your case the personal attention you expect from a professional. You are a real person with real concerns, deserving the highest quality legal services. So we treat clients like our family.Contact Us Today