Hillsville Auto Accident Lawyer
Common Causes of Auto Accidents in Hillsville
No two auto accidents are the same. Every crash will involve its own unique set of circumstances. Still, there are some causes of accidents that are more common than others. These are as follows:
Failure to yield
Unsafe lane changes
It is important to know what caused your crash, so you know who to hold liable for paying full damages. A Hillsville auto accident lawyer will conduct a full investigation to determine the cause of your injuries.
Common Injuries Sustained in Auto Accidents
The injuries one can sustain during an auto accident also depend on many varied factors. Two of these are the point of impact and the speed at which the crash occurred. For example, a crash that occurs on the highway at high speeds will usually result in much more debilitating injuries than an accident that occurs on a side street. The most common injuries sustained in car accidents include:
Traumatic brain injuries
Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
Soft tissue injuries
Internal organ damage
Sometimes, the injuries sustained in a car crash are so severe, that victims do not survive them. When a car accident is fatal, the loved ones of the deceased may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the liable party.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
The steps you take immediately following a car crash can help you prove the other party is liable and increase your chances of recovering the full settlement you deserve. The most important steps to take after any crash are as follows:
- Take pictures: Taking pictures while still at the accident scene can help prove how the crash happened. If possible, also take video footage of the entire accident scene, as this can further prove how the crash occurred.
- Call the police: When a car accident results in injury or death, you are required by law to report the crash to the police. Call the police as soon as possible and if there are injuries at the scene, inform them of this so they can send medical help as well.
- Exchange information: It is important to obtain as much information as possible from other drivers involved in the accident, as well as eyewitnesses. Ask for their name and contact information and make sure to ask the other drivers involved for their insurance information and driver’s license information.
- Seek immediate medical attention: You need immediate medical attention for the injuries sustained during a crash. If medical help arrives at the scene, allow medics to examine you and treat your injuries. If medical help does not arrive at the scene, visit an emergency room as soon as you leave the scene.
- Call a Hillsville auto accident lawyer: You will have to take many more steps when filing a personal injury claim and a lawyer can advise you of what these are.
Damages Available in Auto Accident Claims
The damages, or financial compensation, available in auto accident claims depend on several different factors. When accurately valuing your case, a lawyer will fully review all the facts of your case, including:
- The amount of work you have already missed, and the amount you will miss in the future
- Your total medical expenses incurred because of the accident
- The amount of physical and mental pain and suffering you endured as a result of your injuries
- The cost to repair or replace your vehicle
- Whether you can still maintain personal relationships with your spouse and other people in your household
A lawyer will also identify any other loss you have suffered so you can claim compensation for it.
Contributory Negligence in Auto Accident Claims
Sometimes, more than one driver causes a crash. For example, one driver may have been speeding when they were hit by a drunk driver. In many states, accident victims can still claim compensation if they contributed to an accident. Any compensation awarded in these states is reduced by a driver’s percentage of fault.
Unfortunately, Virginia is not a state that provides compensation to people who contributed to a crash, even if they do not hold the majority of fault. This means that even if you are found to be one percent at fault for a car accident, you are still barred from claiming any damages. This is one reason it is so critical to work with a Hillsville auto accident lawyer. The other side will raise the defense of contributory negligence to shield themselves from paying any compensation, even if it is not true. A lawyer will know how to refute these claims, so you obtain the full and fair damages you deserve.
Call Our Auto Accident Lawyer in Hillsville Today
If you have been hurt or you have lost someone you love, you only have two years from the date of the crash to file a claim for compensation. For this reason, it is critical that you contact a Hillsville auto accident lawyer as soon as possible after a crash. At The Jackson Law Group, PLLC, our seasoned attorneys can provide the legal advice you need and give you the best chance of obtaining the full and fair settlement you are legally entitled to. Call or text us now at (276) 200-5417 or chat with us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more.
"I received a million letters from attorney’s once I was unfortunately charged with reckless driving in VA. I called all of them, and Mr. Jackson was the most real, down to earth, didn’t sound like he was reading a script to me–attorney. He went above and beyond, and got my RD reduced to a non-moving… "
"I highly recommend the Jackson Law Group for help with Virginia moving violations. I was among the many who were not aware of the archaic Virginia speeding laws. I received a speeding ticket in Virginia (Carroll County) and hired the Jackson Law Group for a very reasonable fee. They represented me and concluded my case…"
"Mr. Haynes represented me for going over 80 MPH which is reckless driving in Virginia. He was very professional and his 20 years of experience was key to my understanding the process so that I would be able to take the steps and provide information that would allow me to make a good impression with… "
"I’m well pleased with the way things went. I just more or less turned it over to Tom and Tee and sat back and let them handle it, because I knew they’d do a good job. And they did. We didn’t have to go to court, and I was very pleased with my settlement. I…"
"Wonderful attorney & incredible staff. I love Tommy, Della & Leslie!"
"I have a wonderful experience working with the Jackson Law Group! The staff is amazing!"
"Wonderful group that treat their clients like family. Have worked with Tom and Della multiple times. Couldn’t ask for better service, compassion, and guidance. Highly recommend this firm to anyone."
-Stacy Williams Case We Handle
"I don’t know what I would have done without legal help from Tom Jackson when my husband entered the nursing home. John was a resident for over five years."
"Mr. Jackson treated us like family, my husband knew him very well and he solved the problem for us. My husband had been involved in your community businesses for many years. Thanks, Mr. Jackson!"